Thursday, July 15, 2004

Lions, and tigers, and... snakes? Oh my!

Well, it’s time yet again for an update from little old me. Last time people (okay my dad) complained that drinking stories were hardly interesting, and that it was the cultural experiences that were really more appropriate for posting. I pretty much disagree on the basis that life here has pretty much become exactly that, life, and emphasizing how normal things are here helps to break down misperceptions about how foreign foreign countries really are. But, in order to somewhat appease him, though without really cow towing to the parental authority, I thought I’d pick another aspect of life here to discuss this time (that and I haven’t really had anything to drink since the last time I wrote…).

Today’s topic: Taiwan’s biodiversity. It simply astounds me on a daily basis. At first I thought that maybe it was just that I wasn’t used to a semi-tropical clime and the ecosystem such a clime supports. However, upon further consideration, I’ve decided that it’s not really the case. It’s not like it’s the first time I’ve seen a lot of these animals/insects/etc, it’s just the first time I’ve seen them all in the same place and on such a consistent basis. Take for example the animals sighted (or heard, damn cicadas) on an average walk home: several varieties of lizards (one of them has this crazy purple florescent tail. I’ll try and get a picture for people, cause it’s just really cool!), frogs, slugs, cicadas, birds, bats, a snake (the one I saw was probably like a meter and a half long!!), florescent beetles, ants, praying mantises, millipedes, spiders (some bigger than others), and probably more that I’m blanking out on at the moment.

What have I learned from this astounding biodiversity you ask? Simple:

Lesson 1: Ants are the enemy.
Lesson 2: Ants are most definitely the enemy.
Lesson 3: Bats are schizos. I had never realized how different their flight style really was from birds. They change directions so fast, and they seem to always be doing so. They have none of the grace of birds, but are just as interesting to watch.
Lesson 4: Yes that log in the middle of the street is actually a snake (thank goodness I was actually paying attention that time…)
Lesson 5: Sitting on anthills is a bad idea.
Lesson 6: Sitting on benches on top of anthills is an equally bad idea (*grumble*).
Lesson 7: The real name for cicadas should be “obnoxiously-loud-to-the-point-that-it’s-almost-oppressive-forever-screeching insects.”
Lesson 8: Praying mantises are not to be disturbed.
Lesson 9: Spiders are amazing creatures. The Xinhua News Agency (mainland China’s official news agency) reported that several farmers in southern China witnessed a spider ensnare and poison a snake in its web the other day. Talk about getting a dose of your own medicine.
Lesson 10: Watch where you step!

And even though that’s kind of like fun facts, I thought I’d leave you with yet another few:
2- The rank of mainland China’s economy in the world—second only to the US.
1.3 billion- Mainland China’s current population
280 million- The US’s current population
2035- The year India’s population is expected to surpass that of mainland China.
10%- The percent of energy consumed per capita in mainland China as compared to per capita consumption in the US!!! In other words, the average Chinese household consumes 1/10 the energy that an average American household consumes. Of course, they are already experiencing rolling blackouts in Shanghai because energy consumption is maxed out. Perhaps the American ideal, for which the Chinese are so desperately striving, needs to be reevaluated…

No comments: