Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Two Little Bumble Bees

A weird name for a drinking game, but one nevertheless—at least in China. It goes something like this: Two little bumble bees/flying in a garden./Fly to the left./Fly to the right./ Fly ah! During this little chant, two people (who are preferably facing each other) have their hands like spirit fingers flying around, especially to the left and to the right when appropriate. This, however, is just the intro. The actual fun part comes with a version of Ro-sham-bo (also known as rock, paper, scissors) where both players throw at that last “fly ah.” If the two players throw the same thing, then they do a little French distance air kiss complete with a little “moi moi” sound effect. If, on the other hand, one person wins then the winner gets to fake smack the loser while saying “pia pia.” The correct response from the loser would, of course, be “ah ah.” If all of that went down smoothly, then they would throw again and continue until somebody screws up (which believe me gets really easy to do the more you have to drink). If you screw up, you drink. It’s officially my new favorite drinking game (yes Nick, it even beats the Japanese “pi pi pi pi pi pi pi, do do do do do do do” :o) ).

And that’s just one of three others that I learned last Saturday. It was a fun night. A group of other English teachers and company went out dancing and drinking. It was actually my first time out on the town in Kunming this go around, and I really had a blast. I needed to get some dancing out! It was especially fun doing it at a Chinese disco where I stand out to say the least—the Chinese are, on a whole, worse dancers than the French (no offense Jean-Luc, but you know it’s true). I actually got several people just staring at me trying to copy some of my dance moves, which I’m particularly proud of given that behind me but up on the platform there were various gogo dancers (both men and women). The disco should’ve paid me…

In random other news, I got a new digital camera and a toaster oven today. I took a video of my friends doing the bumble bees game, so once I figure out how to make everything work, I’ll be sure to post it. Meanwhile, my friend has some good pictures up on her online photo album, so let me direct you there. As for the toaster oven, I made chocolate peanut butter cookies this evening and invited everybody up to my apartment for cookies and milk. A grand success as I found another flamenco enthusiast by chance.

And, to bring back the fun facts, I just heard this one tonight:

36,000 – The average number of cookies consumed by an American during her/his lifetime! I think I only have like 1,000 to go :o).

No comments: